Friday, November 20, 2009

Steady State

A lot of news for my portfolio with the rash of Chinese companies reporting, but after the smoke cleared, I was pretty much on par with the market. Without either the CMED or CHCG fiascos, it would have been a solid week.

As mentioned, I did sell my CMED position and I sold 1/2 of my WILC position, which had hit its anniversary date at a very nice 289% return. Then today at the start I bought QKLS, which is a new stock on the screen and will likely hit the mechanical portfolio this weekend (I sometimes front run).

I now have 38 stocks. My movement towards following the quasi mechanical approach is leading towards more stocks. I don't mind the additional transactional costs and I like the broader portfolio. So here are my current holdings and how they have fared (I'll note that my average open stock is up 20% and since the beginning of time, well at least Febraury 2006 I am beating the benchmark IWV by 10 points but still 5 points underwrater):

QXM 80%
WILC 187%
UEPS 51%
CKSW 172%
KHD 23%
CBI 44%
UTA 36%
HCKT 30%
BR 36%
CMFO 45%
ENDP 33%
PFE 32%
GME 13%
FRX 28%
CSKI 15%
BIOC 11%
RTN 12%
LIWA 5%
AIRV 5%
PRIM 10%
BKE 13%
CEU 5%
AMED 5%
QKLS 4%
WTW 5%
RGR 4%
PVSW 1%
AGX 0%
IDCC 0%
ESI -1%
KSW -3%
WH 4%
JCOM -11%
QCOR -23%
GIGM -19%
GTLS -19%
JTX -24%
CHCG -44%

Of the 38, 26 are now of the mechanical variety, meaning I bought them shortly after they appearded on a list for the first time in 52 weeks. With my stock sales, I am still 15% in cash, which at the average amount I place in a stock would equate to room for about 8 new names. CHCG is my next scheduled sale and I will be glad to say good bye.

No comments: