Monday, November 23, 2009

One Day Too Short for my IBAS

Pretty funny, in my top 30 Mechanical portfolio I took IBAS out this weekend as it hit its one year anniversary. It was a good year, the stock went from $1.21 to $2.26, which is a 87% gain versus 40.5% for the S&P 500. Today though, KPN announced they were upping their bid (I think it was originally $1.75) to $3.00 (UPDATE - KPN and iBasis agree on final, higher offer). So could have been +147% instead of 87%.

CSKI had another great day, up 7.5%. I think those shorts I mentioned last week are wishing they had sold. I have noticed that CSKI follows a pattern, they always seem to explode post-earnings and then slowly drop back down. If I wasn't in MFI (or a taxable account) I'd be thinking about selling, even though it is an extremely cheap stock. I just have that unexplainable fear that the stock is too good to be true.

WH and GTLS were also both up about 8%. I was amazed this morning to see that GTLS was under $16. They seem like such a great play as the USA will inevitably build out their natural gas infrastructure and GTLS (by my reading) will be right in the middle of that build out. I do worry about WH having a meltdown, I have been scouring the news to check out more about them, but I fear they were negatively impacted by the trade war Obama kicked off a couple months ago with China (US/China trade war heats up with duties slapped on steel pipe imports). But I will find out tomorrow morning (WSP Holdings Announces Conference Call to Discuss Third Quarter 2009 Results).

1 comment:

Homer315 said...

I've had the exact same thoughts about CSKI. I had considered buying during the last dip when it dropped into the $11-12 range, but got busy with other stuff. It seems almost too regular the pattern the stock goes through.