Monday, July 20, 2009

Blowing & Going

The market continues on its tear. I think some people are starting to believe the worst is over. Certainly GS thinks we have upside (Rally For Real? Goldman Joins The Bulls). My guru, John Hussman, pleads for caution (Tending Seeds - Reacting, Responding, Planting, and Watering). I don't know what to think, but it seems clearer and clearer to me that MFI is the tool to use. And here is my logic: A larger and larger part of the market is using ETFs, which are really just large baskets of stocks. If you have an approach (MFI?) to figure out which stocks in the basket are the best, you can be in for some happy news come earning season (now).

Speaking of earnings season, I lost my courage on CKSW. I sold them today. I ended up making about 250% and have no regrets. I just didn't have the courage to hold into earnings on Wednesday. If they have a blow-out quarter, I'll be doing some teeth-gnashing. I am certainly regreting my early sale of TC, which I bought on average at $3.42 and sold on average at about $8.20... they are now $12.68.

FSUMF went up another 13%, that is a stock I am holding. Now up 150% for the portfolio. UTA went up almost 20% today... things seem to be on fire. With the sale of CKSW, I am now about 12% in cash. Not sure what to do with the funds, I'll be waiting to see if any new stocks come on the list this week as earnings come out. I am tempted to buy NOK, but I doubt I will. BR is another tempting stock.

No comments: