Saturday, January 27, 2007

Master of the Universe

MSTR reported their earnings last night at 7:30. I did not notice until this morning. Friday evening earning releases are pretty unusual. The numbers sure looked good to me. They had 20% YoY revenue growth and EPS was up 19%, easily beating expectations. With all the consolidation in the software arena, I keep expecting someone to try and buy Microstrategy. Anyway, they are in my 1st bucket of February 24th stocks and are up about 33%.

Statistic Update

David versus Goliath - in my portfolio of 30 stocks, small stocks continue to outperform. Small stocks (under $1b in market cap at time of purchase) are up 15.6%. Large stocks are up just 0.9%. I will try and add that component to my study of the 276 stocks to see if it holds there as well. JG certainly suggested that small cap stocks outperformed in his book.

Psyshic Ability - every quarter I rate my stocks 1,2 or 3 with a "1" being the best in what I think their share performance will be in the upcoming quarter. The 1st time I did it, I was pretty accurate. This time, my predictions are now a month old. I have done, "not so well":

"1" - +4.2%
"2" - +0.8%
"3" - +15.6%

Of course, the whole reason for my miss is PNCL, which I rated a "3" about 1 day before they spiked 55%. If I back PNCL out then my predictive powers look better.

Jubak had an interesting article yesterday (Jubak on Oil Stocks). He argued that Oil stocks will again have their day, but frankly there is no rush as he expects them to drop further during the earnings season. That made me re-consider how eager I was to re-load my PTEN holdings.

No comments: