Wednesday, March 31, 2010

TTT + KWG = KHD

I woke up this morning to find that KHD had disappeared from all my stock screens. On Monday it had closed at 14.90, on Tuesday 14.05 and then today... *poof*. I did see in my Fidelity account an equal number of shares of TTT replacing the KHD. It opened at a much lower price: $12.60. was I out $1.40 a share? Well, the good news is that despite the low open, it closed at $13.15. But I decided to do a little sleuthing to see what else I could find. Here are the particulars:

First Tranche Summary and Time Line

Receive one (1) KID share for every three and half (3½) KHD shares (calculated after a 2 for 1 forward split, subject to KID shareholder approval).

Additional distributions of KID shares expected by the end of the year.

Initial percentage of KID shares distributed 26%

Shareholders meeting date for approval March 29, 2010

Ex- dividend date March 30, 2010

Distribution date of shares March 31, 2010

Listing date for KID shares on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange March 31, 2010

Stock Symbol KWG.F

So suppose you had 1,000 shares on Monday, worth $14,900. Today you would have 1,000 shares of the new stock, TTT (worth 13,150) and (if I understand it correctly, 1 share of KWG.F for every 7 shares I had of KHD. So that works out to about 280 shares of KWG.F. That trades on the Frankfurt exchange, though they have promised an ADR that trades on US exchanges. They closed at 5.45 euros per share or about $7.35. That works out to about $2,050. If I understand everything correctly, I am actually better off than Monday (not that I had the 1,00 shares) at $15,200 vs the 14,900.

There are still a couple points I do not understand. It mentions an ex dividend date of March 30th. What dividend are they talking about? Is that a stock dividend, getting the KWG? Is there an actual dividend, which might explain the 90 cent drop on Tuesday? I dunno.

The second point, which I find intriguing is that they expect additional distributions of KID (KWG) before the end of the year. Additional sounds good! Anyway, I am not sure how I will work all this complexity into my MFI worksheets... I suspect at the least KHD will turn into TTT. And I will need to add in the KWG part. I am excited by the split and plan to hold all my shares firmly. Not sure if it'll renew for me as "mfi"... but that is only bookkeeping.

Then two quickies: QKLS (I know I said quickie!) announced they will be taking another two weeks to report earnings. It is their first time, so I assume they forgot to dot an i, but it may impact the stock tomorrow (QKL Stores Inc. Postpones Earnings Release Date for Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2009 Financial Results).

Then SHE had an extremely bullish report (granted by someone who owns the stock) which I found hopeful (Shedding Light on SHE: China Watch). I will try and be disciplined and not back up the truck.

Oh two more as long as I am on China. UTA gave bullish updated guidance (Universal Travel Group Completes Previously Announced Acquisitions and Updates Guidance) this is one cheap stock. And then LIWA had a most excellent quarter and says 2010 will be 40% better (Lihua International Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2009 Financial Results). At some point this stock will begin appearing on the screens.

Here is my estimate of LIWA stats:



liwa
+ Operating Income After Depreciation 30.52
- Minority Interest - Income Account -
= Income for Calculation 30.52

Diluted Shares Outstanding 23.792

Share Price 9.18
+ Market Cap Calc 218.41
+ Preferred Capital -
+ Debt in Current Liabilities 4.39
+ Long-Term Debt -

Cash and Short-Term Investments 34.00
- Excess Cash 34.00
= Enterprise Value 188.80






+ Property Plant and Equipment - Net 16.85
+ Receivables 7.92
+ Inventories 12.68
+ Other Current Assests 0.18
+ Working Cash -
- Accounts Payable 5.25
- Current Liabilities - Other 0.78
= Invested Capital 31.61
Earnings Yield 16%
ROIC 97%

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the explanation of the KHD transaction. I had much the same experience. I now have to recalculate my cost basis for the new TTT and KWG so if you want to take a shot at that as well and let me know how you calculate it that would be great?

Lazy of Minnetonka.

Thomas Scoville said...

Thanks a ton for the explanation. I, too woke up this morning to a missing KHD. You saved me a ton of sleuthing. You rock.

anyman said...

I think your math might be off (or mine is). If a forward (aka reverse) split were to occur, and you started with 1000 shares, then:

1000/2 = 500/3.5 = approx. 143 shares. I'm not sure where the 280 comes from but that's about double.

I could just be looking at that wrong, too.

Marsh_Gerda said...

anyman - I recall it was originally divided by 7 and then they decided to have a 2:1 spilt pre split and changed the rate to 3.5

Homer315 said...

Marsh,

I believe the ex-dividend date they are talking about is the distribution of stock, not a money dividend. I think the stock took a nose dive a couple of days ago due to technical selling pressures. I am sure that there were a number of holders (like mutual funds) who are prohibited from owning German-listed securities and/or who did not want to be stuck with relatively illiquid shares of the cement company listed in Germany. That's why you saw the intraday stock movement on Tuesday start moving lower, and then take a steep dive right before the close when more institutions are trading.

As for the distribution, KHD holders got 2 shares of the new KWG for every 7 shares of KHD. You have a typo in your post where you say you got 1 KWG for every 7 shares of KHD which comes out to 280 shares. If you had 1000 KHD, and got 1 for 7, then it would be 140 shares. A 2 for 7 distribution gets you to the 280 shares.

Nathan said...

Hi all, I am new to the MFI experience. Can you please tell me if you use the Screener from the Magic Formula Investing website or a different one? Is the Screener in the website updated periodically? I have been following it since 3/17/10 for stocks with a Min Market Cap of USD 1b and the top 6 names do not seem to have changed. thanks. N

Marsh_Gerda said...

I use the screener. It is updated every day, though unless prices move a lot, it tends to change more after quarterly earnings get posted.

Unknown said...

hi,You have a very good blog that the main thing a lot of interesting and useful!thanks Frankfurt stock exchange