Tuesday, August 04, 2009

OMG^2

Mechanical portfolios continue to surge. Really helped by CRAY, up over 10% on the day and now up 135% overall. Marsh_Gerda fave, UTA was up another sizzling 13% and is now a solid double, both for the mechanical portfolios and my personal portfolio. The last time I remember a stock going hyperbolic like UTA was VTSS in 1999. Remember those days?

GME also popped about 6% for me, not sure why. I am waiting for BIOC to announce this evening.

A plethora of other MFI stocks have announced this evening already. I skimmed over a few.

TRLG had another solid quarter (True Religion Apparel 2Q profit rises 18 percent) with income up 18% (which I owned a couple years ago and did well). This is a great company, I can't believe I didn't buy them when they came on the list around $12 (now over $22). I was just worried that high-end jeans were not the place to be, but that appears as recession-proof a category as band-aids.

SOLR had what I thought was a terrific quarter (GT Solar fiscal 1st-quarter profit rises 51 pct), but the stock is flat after hours. It may be not much new biz is coming in the door.

I also thought VCLK was pretty good (ValueClick 2Q profit falls 10 pct on lower revenue) but they look down after hours.

DIVX looked pretty sub-par to me (DivX, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2009 Financial Results) and they down in happy hour trading.

Wait, while I typed, BIOC announced their quarter (BioClinica Announces Second Quarter 2009 Financial Results). Oh, oh. Not very good. So much for my streak this quarter. They could easily be down 5 to 10%.

Guess I'll go drink some cheap scotch.

1 comment:

Homer315 said...

Want to check out a nice chart? Go to google finance and look up KIRK (Kirkland's). It was written up on VIC in late Sep 2008. I read it in October and bought in at 2.35 (it actually dropped in price between its write up and October. Incredible ride. Gets even crazier if you go back to Jan 08.

If you want the mother of all rides, check out DDRX (Diedrich Coffee). You may remember that it was mentioned in Barron's this year in a story on Green Mountain and how Green Mountain seemed to be screwing with earnings. I'll be honest, I didn't think stock prices did what DDRX has done. Just check out its return since January.