Monday, August 31, 2009

New Week - New M&A

While my portfolio wasn't exactly rocketing today, I was heartened to see the M&A activity continue. That bodes very well for value stocks. BJ Services will be acquired by BHI and Marvel is being bought by Disney. BJS was a regular on the lists back in 2007, MVL was on almost all of 2007 and the first part of 2008 (probably until Iron Man came out as there was a lot of debate whether Marvel could make a movie on their own).

I had very little green today, just GME (actually added to the infamous GS conviction list:GameStop shares rise on upgrade), UEPS, BR, FRX and CBI (upgraded by JPM:CB&I upgraded by JP Morgan).

JTX continued their slide down since being downgraded last week by Oppenheimer, dropping from $6.62 to $5.59. UTA is back to $9.80. This stock went briefly above $16 August 10th when they announced their earnings. I have to think $9.80 is a good entry point.

CKSW was the stock that Shyster helped me hold the line on. It seemed great when I bought back in as the stock went up from about $6.70 to $8.30 post their earnings, but they have now slid back to $6.30. I am still very bullish at $6.30.

Finally, I am glad I sold my CSKI at alomst $16 as they've dropped below $13. Another day tomorrow. My buy order for CMFO wasn't filled at $4.30 (went to $4.33), we'll see what happens tomorrow.

A final final thought. When was the last time you used a pager? Me too. Can't remember. That being said, USMO, a stock that is in the pager business keeps cranking out profits, with very little required investment, pays a 7.7% dividend and has gone from $8.4 a year ago to $12.73. What does this tell us? It tells me that people can be premature in writing off a mature technology. On the top 25 list now are ELNK and UNTD. Both companies got their start providing online internet access (as an option to AOL). UNTD hasalso bought FTD along the way. ELNK has a bucket full of cash and just started a dividend that works out to hmmm .56/8.32 = 6.7%. Could one of them be the next USMO, up 40% plus some juicy dividends?

1 comment:

Homer315 said...

You can say it Marsh: Al's a badass for getting into CMFO back in April, and the VIC write up only makes me want to buy the stock more...