Monday, August 03, 2009

OMG

This has been the biggest stock run I can ever remember in my investing lifetime. Just to illustrate, on a day where the indices were up about 1.5%, here is what the mechanical portfolios did:

Top 30 Portfolio: Yesterday Open: +39.3% (+28.2% over Benchmark)
Today: Open: +43.8% (+30.8% over Benchmark)
Top 50 Portfolio: Yesterday Open: +35.1% (+27.1% over Benchmark)
Today: Open: +38.8% (+29.1% over benchmark)

Of the open stocks through the end of May, 1 in 6 of them are doubles. And there are even 7 that are triples.

It was a very good day for me. The stock that is "en fuego" is UTA, the Chinese travel company. It was up another 6.3% today on 4x normal volume (@14.85), and up about 90% since I bought it. And this evening, during Happy Hour trading it is up another 3.7%.

I did see where HLF and IPHS (neither of which I own) had less than stellar quarterly earnings after the bell. Can't all be winners I guess.

Finally, on a closing note, has anyone noticed that Yahoo Finance isn't working for stocks with letters starting Q or R? I sent them a nasty-gram and hope others will as well. Geesh, I may have to switch to Google or MSN Finance.

2 comments:

Homer315 said...

Marsh, have you ever thought about why it is your mechanical portfolio might be doing well? I was wondering why a stock that fits your requirements would proceed to do well, unless the price drop was a temporary anomaly. That is to say, many stocks are on the downswing, so they might appear to the top 30 or 50, and then stay there as their stock prices continue to fall. Buying the moment they appear would seem to increase the chances of catching a falling knife. On the other hand, if these stocks are just dropping down temporarily, then disappearing from the list, it mighit explain the "deals". I wonder how many of these stocks are still on the screen even 2 weeks or a month later. Then there are the stocks that are on the list month after month after month. Those with reliable (sort of) ROIC and EY would seem to do better.

I don't know...

Marsh_Gerda said...

Albert, I do not know the answer. I do think you may have touched on part of it. Also, it has you investing more in times of turmoil as there is more churning on the list then and that is probably when the market goes "nuts".

Marsh aka Swampy