Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Decreasing at Decreasing Rate

Almost exactly one year ago, my portfolio was at its peak, July 19th I think. It has been a sharp and painful drop. I haven't even pulled out my trusty HP financial calculator to figure out how much I am down since then. Suffice it to say it is a large percentage.

However, I do wonder if we're now at a point where the winds are changing. It is subtle right now, all my tracking portfolios are firmly in the red. But the last four are actually ahead of the benchmark Russell 3000. That is big news since the prior 20 odd portfolios lost or are losing to the benchmark.

I am not sure if this is because value stocks have fallen faster and are now at bottom, or if the benchmarks are cratering faster as they have financial stocks, which have been blistered lately. Or perhaps a bit of each.

An example is CSGS, which was upgraded today and shot up 21%. It is still cheap at 15 and change, down from $27.

Well, gotta go. We'll see if we're about to see the winds change as they did in The Return of the King.

No comments: