Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Overview of My Dividend Stocks - IV

Thought I'd continue my review of my dividend stocks. That will at least distract me from poor news on my MFI stocks that I still hold (note I sold BLDR yesterday), such as PWER (UPDATE 1-Power-One slashes Q3 outlook). I do wonder if this is the first of many "slashings. PWER is predictably down, though you do wonder (out loud) how low they can go... they are already down 41% since I bought them in my MFI portdolio.

Tip of the hat to Steve B who sent me a list of about 30 divy stocks have just been bought for his wife's portfolio. The dividend stocks can be akin to "trudging" but I am ok with getting rich slowly. The interesting thing about his list was it had a lot of consumer stocks (KO, PEP, JNJ, KFT, KMB and GIS for starters). That is something my portfolio lacks and I should consider changing as those sorts of stocks are certainly more defensive in nature.

Here is a listing of my "dividends" by sector:

Row Labels Sum of Projected Dividend
Bond 2,292
Construction 1,957
Consumer 3,939
Defense 782
Finance 8,075
Hybrid 6,612
Insurance 8,099
Pharma 1,978
Pipelines 2,368
Tech 4,801
Utility 8,579
Grand Total 49,482

I have counted CHKE, UNTD and PM as consumer stocks. So you can see I have a lot of Finance/Insurance.

JQC - This is another of my closed end funds. It is a mixture of securities. It trades at about an 11% discount to the NAV. Finally, they now pay about a 10% dividend. Nuveen is looking to split the fund into more homogeneous securities which may cause them to trade at a smaller discount.

KMF - another closed end fund, specializing in pipelines. I like the pipeline play as the natural gas infrastructure gets built out, pipes will be laid down. They pay a 7.25% dividend.

KSW - this is a small HVAC contractor in the New York area. I have owned them for a long time. I keep thinking about selling, but they are frankly a lightly traded stock and it is a bit difficult to sell. I do worry about them in another recssion. But they have a $20m market cap with $18m in cash. They seem to have a decent backlog, so I guess I will continue to hold them.

Ok, that is enough for me right now. Back to cheering my Rangers on vs the Tigers.

No comments: