Thursday, October 22, 2009

CKSW Gets Crushed

It had been a while since one of my stocks got crushed... it was CKSW yesterday, down over 20%. The ferocity really caught me by surprise, as the quarter itself was good (ClickSoftware Reports Record Revenues and Operating Profit ). The issue is that their guidance is flattening.

Looking through the financials, it is hard to argue with the street. They are trading at 14x earnings, which seems fair. I've had them run from $1.99 to 5.91 now. Would I rather have the $8 they touched a couple days ago? Sure. But I am trying to remember that this has to be a portfolio approach.

I did see another interesting sign of the times yesterday for a stock that has been on the lists for at least a year (IMS Health exploring strategic alternatives). Strategic alternatives often means things like leveraged buyouts and management buyouts. The stock jumped sharply on the news, The bigger picture (for me) is that if these start happening again, that will also get some of our MFI friends trading at higher multiples. Especially those with strong balance sheets and predictable cash flows.

Interesting chart yesterday for AGX, a stock I am still considering buying as it is new top top 30 portfolio. They were pushing $13 all day and then fell off the table to about $12.

ARGAN INC (ASE) Edit
Range:1d 5d 3m 6m 1y 2y 5y max Type:Bar | Line | CandleScale:Linear | LogSize:M | L
Compare:AGX vs S&P Nasdaq Dow
Want more control over the chart? Try our Interactive Chart.
Chart for Argan, Inc. (AGX)

Splits:09-Oct-01 [1:15]
Last Trade:12.12
Trade Time:Oct 21
Change: 0.00 (0.00%)
Prev Close:12.12
Open:N/A
Bid:N/A
Ask:N/A
1y Target Est:N/A
Day's Range:N/A - N/A
52wk Range:8.37 - 16.00
Volume:0
Avg Vol (3m):17,507.6
Market Cap:164.57M
P/E (ttm):12.51
EPS (ttm):0.97
Div & Yield:N/A (N/A)
Does that mean I should buy or should I wait?

No comments: