Monday, February 16, 2009

Stock Ideas

On this "off day" with the markets closed, I spent some time looking at the MFI lists. There are some great ideas out there.

Four Tech Horseman - if you all of a sudden had $100,000 fall from the sky and you knew you weren't going to need the $ for ten years, I think you could do a lot worse than buy DELL (9.12), EBAY (13.19), MSFT (19.09) and INTC (13.88). These are 4 "best-of-breed" companies with strong balance sheets selling very cheap. Now I just need the "pennies from heaven"!

Newest stock in my mechanical contest. Today I updated my mechanical portfolio of "new" top 25 stocks with the first new stock in about 6 weeks. The newbie? COH. How the high have fallen. I owned Coach last summer but sold them when it dawned on me that high-end discretionary retail was not the place to be. They are down to 13.97. They got $1.30 in cash, no debt and trade at under 4x their EBITDA.

The final stock of interest is NTRI. They pay a 5% dividend. They have a strong balance sheet. They are rolling their product out in Costco (is that a positive?). I think in tough times, people will still want to lose weight... it isn't like botox or plastic surgery... ya still gotta eat!

No comments: