Wednesday, April 23, 2008

MFI Stock Not Listed

I subscribe to Vivian Lewis' excellent global investing newsletter. She just got back from a fact-finding trip to China. From that trip she had a new idea that she added to her buy list: WH. I generally run her ideas through an MFI screen, just to see where they stand. WH was quite interesting. It did not work in the standard formula as for the most recent quarter some balance sheet items were not detailed. But I did my best, given the prior month balance sheet to parse out the items.

When I did, I got a return on capital of about 64% and an earning yield of 32%! That would likely place it in top 50 list. They are in an interesting sector: Oil and gas supplies/pipelines. Basically like a Chinese Tenaris (TS) or NSS (an early MFI stock for me). Vivian Lewis liked them as they are cheap (went public last year at over $9 and now at $6.23), and they have invested in a new facility that will really allow them to ramp production. I expect when they get the details behind the financials filed with Compustat they will appear on the list. I did buy them today as a double match of a Vivian Lewis recommendation and MFI ratios was impossible to resist. I don't think I'll count them in my portfolio, unless they hit the big time.

BVF, which has not exactly been on fire for moi, had some good news after the bell (US FDA approves Biovail drug for depression). They were up 10% during drive-time.

SIMG had decent earnings yesterday (Silicon Image Reports First Quarter 2008 Financial Results) and went up 4.7%. They really are not making much money, but the stock had dropped so far that it is now going up.

BBSI announced earnings this evening (Barrett Business misses by $0.08, misses on revs; guides Q2 EPS below consensus, revs below consensus). While headlines can be deceiving, that one pretty much says it all. It was a bleak quarter. Fasten your seatbelts tomorrow. This will be another Magic Diligence stock for me (along with JTX) to take a serious dive.

HBMFF did have a 6% pop. About time as all the other commodity firms had been on a nice run. Don't people need Zinc too? I'll start an ad campaign... Got Zinc?

No comments: