Tuesday, April 08, 2008

I'm Back!

Back from my spring vacation. It was nice, though a few problems with American Airlines and mechanical problems. Ended up spending two nights at JFK and reading a lot of books. Didn't have a lap top with me. Read a great book called Freakonomics which I may refer to from time to time here.

The good news is that while I was gone, my stocks did stage a mini-recovery. Still way-way underwater but a baby step in the right direction. Let's browse a few headlines.

CHCG - announced today that they will be partnering with Wal Mart in China (

China 3C Group Enters into Supply Agreement with Wal-Mart Stores in Zhejiang Province
). They said it would not be material right now, but it does show that they are a company to work with in China. The stock went up 24% today on the news. I was looking today at this stock in the MFI list, their earnings yield (before today) was 80%! That is getting to the point of ridiculous. CAST is another Chinese company that is ridiculously cheap, their price is like $4.10 and I think they have $3.80 in cash. I might be able to buy the entire company just using my IRA.

TPX - first Barron's announced that several big funds who are very familiar with TPX
(Buyers Put Money in Mattress Maker) bought big shares. Then after the bell today Sealy's had positive news (Sealy Q1 profit tops Wall Street; shares jump). Things can not stay horrible forever.

NTRI - I don't own this stock, but they actually dropped for the first time ever to the top 25 list (that I recall) while I was on vacation. They promptly (on cue?) went up 24% today on positive outlook (NutriSystem shares jump 24% on CEO move, sales outlook).

I think some of the recent pops in stocks is showing that some MFI stocks have reached bottom. We'll see.

I think

No comments: