Monday, April 28, 2008

Alternative Benchmark

Several people have asked why I use the Russell 3000 index as a benchmark as opposed to a pure value benchmark. The answer for me is that I am not trying to compare how I am doing with one value approach vs a benchmark value approach, but rather how am I doing against the broad market.

Just for yucks though, I did compare my performance against the Russell 2000 Value index. While I trail the Russell 3000 by a whopping 20%, I would trail the value index by a mere 10%... do I feel better? Heck no! I do wonder why I am doing worse than the indices and worse than my general tracking portfolios, which might be behind overall by about 5%. It is easy to think that I am just a poor stock-picker. And that very well may be the answer. Though I have had modest success (and continue to do so) outside of MFI.

It is getting harder (given the chasm) to catch the benchmark. When the market goes up and both portfolios go up by the same %, I lose ground as the benchmark percentage is on a bigger number.

I did add WH to my portfolio last week. It would easily qualify as an MFI stock if they has all the detailed elements on their balance sheet listed for the most recent quarter. WSTG and KSW are both about to hit their one year anniversary. Both are down, WSTG is down 31%. I will likely sell WSTG, but renew KSW for a 2nd year (I think it is still on the list!). Hmm, it is not, but clearly should be as I show below. BTW, if you are trying to maximize your returns by doing the opposite of me, then I suggest (or don't suggest) WSTG.


ksw
Operating Income After Depreciation 6.07
Minority Interest - Income Account -
Income for Calculation 6.07
Market Cap Yahoo 35,000
Share Price 5.70
Market Cap Calc 35.00
Preferred Capital -
Debt in Current Liabilities -
Long-Term Debt -
Cash and Short-Term Investments 18.12
Excess Cash 16.83
Enterprise Value 18.17




Property Plant and Equipment - Net 0.25
Receivables 20.78
Inventories 1.11
Other Current Assests 0.36
Working Cash 1.30
Accounts Payable 17.82
Current Liabilities - Other 5.73
Invested Capital 0.25
Earnings Yield 33%
ROIC 2389%

2 comments:

Homer315 said...

"I do wonder why I am doing worse than . . . my general tracking portfolios"

Sample size.

Devich said...

Come get me Mother, I'm done.

Can't keep watching these double digit declines on a regular basis. TRID minus 11 today and IVAC down 21...

Datamining kudos to Mr. Greenblatt, I hope you enjoy the wealth your book brought you.

Can't believe I fell for this system.

Got luckier than I deserved to be... 2.5 years, 65 positions, down about one percent after all is said and done.

Was gonna reduce the amount and stick with it a bit, but not even that any more. There are many better screens out there than this one.

Maybe it will work out as per past history, but I just can't be happy with a system that has me buying so many crappy companies.

Best of luck to you, I've enjoyed reading your blog.