Monday, March 24, 2008

Insider/Guru Buying

One change in my strategy of late is to give more consideration to what insiders and gurus are doing. I subscribe to GuruFocus.Com which tells you recent buys by a list of gurus. Based upon that, I bought ELOS recently (Guru=Seth Klarman). Of course I bought ODP after Greenblatt bought it. Then I bought HBMFF as Jim Jubak added it to his portfolio. I almost bought COH last week, when I saw their CEO backed up the truck. Since then it has gone from $27.81 on Wednesday to $32.78 today.

Are there other choices out there? Well, chew on this. Post TPX having sub-par earnings, Director Christopher Masto bought over 4 million shares last week around $12 a share. That is $40m+... not sure how much money Mr Masto has, but that is not a small bet.

USMO was bought by its CFO recently. It isn't on the list right now, but I think that is simply a data issue as they just came out with quarterly earnings.

Outside of MFI, I just bought a big chunk of ACF at a bit over $11. Ian Cummings has been buying it by the bucket full. I don't think you can go too wrong by following his footprints.

I see today that BVF is in the news on a negative watch today. This is old news and should not impact the stock that much going forward. It does illustrate they used to be run by crooks (in my opinion).

Looks like today will be a strong day.

No comments: