Friday, May 09, 2008

Russell 3000 Thoughts

We're at that time of year where the Russell 3000 gets re-balanced (actually end of July). I am not sure what the market cap threshhold will be to be in the index, but I am guessing somewhere north of $300m. So what MFI stocks might be moving into the Russell 3000 this Summer? I don't have the ultimate answer, but QSC looks like a viable candidate (I thought perhaps HGG, but they were added post IPO in the fall). QSC also looks like an interesting stock. I'll be selling VALU and AEO later this month and QSC is a possible replacement.

BID had a poor first full day for me as their earnings were actually negative (UPDATE - Sotheby's posts surprise loss; commissions off). While they said this is not unusual as their business is seasonal, the stock did sell off 9%. I am not worried as they said the 2nd quarter is off to a strong start, but I would have still rather bought a day later. Oh well.

I did actually have a relatively strong day and a strong week. MRX did very well with their strong earnings yesterday and went up over 10%. Another strong performer was WH (I always think of Waffle House and White House when I see that symbol). They are up almost 20% for me already (sell, sell, sell).

No comments: