Monday, December 03, 2007

United We Fall

I mentioned in my last blog that I sold UNTD pre-maturely as I thought they had gone up too quickly with the Classmates.com hype. I sold them around $17.50. Today they dropped about 15% to $12.72. While I felt a week ago they were overbought, the current price seems way oversold. Not that I'll be buying them back.

GVHR, it is all about when you bought them. Friday would have been a good day for example. Up a snappy 20% today. Sadly I bought them back in March and am still down 70%, even after today's gain.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Marsh,

I recently had to write a report in a Finance class at the local community college on my portfolio's performance. I used my 28 stock MFI portfolio. The interesting thing that I found was that my portfolio was not the least bit diversified. Here's a breakdown of stock sectors of my MFI portfolio and the Vanguard Small Cap Value Index fund:

Sector --- My MFI --- Vanguard
IT 21% 9.5%
Industrials 27.2% 10.4%
Cons Staples 3.5% 3.2%
Health Care 7% 3.8%
Materials 13.9% 8%
Energy 13.8% 10.5%
Cons Discret 13.9% 11.2%
Financials 0% 31.5%
Telecom 0% 0.6%
Utilities 0% 8.8%

My MFI portfolio is basically a Tech and Industrials porfolio with an over-emphasis on health care, materials, energy, and consumer discretionary stocks.

I picked my 28 stocks completely randomly. Interesting.

Marsh_Gerda said...

Ryan, no doubt about it. The way MFI works, if a certain sector falls out of favor it can easily be over-represented on the MFI lists. That may be one reason JG says to spread out purchases over 8 to 10 months to get a better cross-section.

MG