Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Cramer Says Buy AEO?

Cramer today said in his "Stop Trading" segment to buy AEO (American Eagle Could Fly). Or did he? I am not part of Cramerica, but I do watch his show occassionally and read some of his posts as he sometimes has an idea that strikes my fancy. Here is what he said beyond the headline:

American Eagle (AEO - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr - Rating) might be ready to take off, Jim Cramer said on CNBC's "Stop Trading!" segment Wednesday.

"I like this stock. It hasn't made us any money, [but] I think it's very cheap," Cramer said. "This kind of stock could have a multiyear turn like Abercrombie (ANF - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr - Rating). It hasn't had it yet, though."

When push comes to shove, though, Cramer is hesitant: "There's so many other retailers I actually like much more."

Excuse me? Why does he bother to profile a stock, just to tell us at the end that there are many retailers he likes "much more"? Oh well.

Speaking of AEO, they announced their same store sales were flat in November (American Eagle Sales Flat). Hard to be pleased about that, but with the stock over 30% off it's 52 week high, I'd say low expectations are baked in. But even with flat same store sales, their overall sales are up 16%. So it is not exactly a no growth story.

As I profiled yesterday, it was indeed a bullish day for VSNT. I can't tell you how nice it was to have good news for a change. Up 21%, one of the leaders in the overall market today.

THO had some good news as well (Thor Backlog Rises, Sends Stock Higher). Their back log is 19% higher than last year. The stock didn't really "rise" much more than the general market, the headline seemed a little deceiving. This has been a "little" deceiving stock for some time. I suppose the "smart money" is worried about the impact of higher gas prices on RV sales. That being said, you have demographics in their favor and they are selling obviously well as they just had a very solid quarter. Yet the stock has dropped from $50 to $35 in just the past month. That is a real head-scratcher for me. Maybe someone reading this blog can explain why THO has dropped so much in the face of strong sales and strong backlog.

Finally, KFY announces earnings tomorrow. This stock has gone absolutely nowhere since I bought it (which makes it sadly one of my best stocks). I thought HSII had good earnings last month... we'll see what KFY has to say.

No comments: