Thursday, May 25, 2006

It was the Best of Times: Paint it Black


Charles Dickens once said in a Tale of Two Cities, "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery."

And so it is with my MFI portfolio. Most importantly, I want to be in the black. The secondary need is to beat the benchmark. And of I course I want to live by the song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and retire at age 50 to be a ski bum.

The past few weeks have thrown my MFI portfolio from being up 4 to 5% to being down over 2%. That is about an 8-point swing. Not quite the 25% drop the Russian stock market has had in May... but this isn't from Russia (with love). That has put me in the Red until today. Calloo, Callay!

No comments: