Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bought Nokia

Bought Nokia

I have been watching Nokia fall from $20+ per share to under $3 a share.  Thursday I decided to pull the trigger at $2.86 per share.  Unlike RIMM, I think Nokia is a viable competitor with Apple and Samsung.  Their new phone (Lumina) is getting decent reviews, they have cash, patents and still a decent market share.  I am not putting them in my "dividend" portfolio right now, though I may reconsider if they continue to pay a dividend (they paid a 26 cent dividend in May, which is over 7% for a $3 stock).  My gamble paid off immediately as the stock jumped 6% on Friday... I will also say I bought enough shares to care about.

Otherwise, my portfolio continues to trundle along effectively.  I was traveling at the end of the week, so I have not updated everything but everything is pretty good for now.

More later this week!

1 comment:

AndrewsDad said...

I am also an owner of Nokia, been so for a little bit of time and obviously down on the investment. I just think the potential turn around with the MSFT partnership is worth the risk. My neighbor works for MSFT in the phone division and he had shown me some of the features, before the Nokia Windows phones were released, I am an iPhone user, and I was impressed. Also my step son is friends with one of the Nokia CEO's kids, he was at their house the other day, not like I have any inside information because of it.

For the most part my portfolio is more and more consisting of the higher dividend stocks such as STX as I have mentioned in the past and MSFT. I still like to keep at least a couple that could have significant upside and I am still hoping that NOK fits that bill. Plus it does have the dividend. So why not.