Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Random Thoughts

Just a few quick thoughts while I watch the RNC to decide if Palin is someone I am willing to have a heartbeat or gunshot away from being president.

HURC - kind of going nowhere, but it got a very bullish review from MF (5-Star Stocks Poised to Pop: Hurco).

FTO - big day for refiners in general, the interesting thing about FTO was interest in options. The last time FTO had heavy option interest it shot from $25 to $33 in about a week (Wednesday Options Outlook: EP, FTO, XLE, YHOO, FRX, EWZ, ETH, ACN).

WNR - no longer in my MFI list, but I still hold it went up 22% today. Not sure why it went up so much more than other refiners, perhaps some rumors?

HBMFF - gad, what a disaster, down about 10% today and down 55% since I bought them. All commodity stocks (including Fortescue, which I also own) have been getting crushed. At some point the sell-off will end and there will be some deals amongst the wreckage.

LRCX & NOK - It was a terrible day for tech stocks. Nokia has become so so cheap for a large cap stock at $23.53. They have an exciting competitor to the i-phone coming out that has a chance to be a big money maker (Highly Anticipated Nokia N96 Begins Shipping).

AEO announced same store sales down 5% and re-affirmed 3rd quarter guidance. Hard to get too revved up about that... I don't have much left any more. Check out the two headlines... I think one must be wrong!

  1. American Eagle August same-store sales rise 5 pct
  2. American Eagle same-store sales fall 5% in August

I am getting more bullish about MFI, the trends in my tracking portfolios have been quite favorable of late... even if it isn't entirely showing in my actual portfolio. I may steer a little more money into MFI during the next 4 months.

No comments: