Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Good Day for Financial Dividend Stocks

Ready, Go!, Set

The fed was scheduled to release bank stress test results on Thursday, but surprise, surprise they came out mid-day today. JPM was the first I saw and they announced an increased dividend plus a stock buyback. The stock jumped 7%!

My big US bank holding (USB) announced at the end of the day that they are increasing dividend 56% and buying back stock (U.S. Bancorp increases dividend by 56%, authorizes a new 100M share buyback). They went up 4.5% and I have been thrilled with them (I bought a bit below $22 and they are now $31).

LNC also went up more than 4%, though I am unsure whether they were subject to the stress test.

I did see where Berkshire Hathaway "only" went up 1.5%. As a huge holder of WFC and BAC, I am surprised they didn't spike more. If I had seen that before the closing bell, I might have bought some shares as I think they have under-performed the recent rally.

I have consolidated some accounts I had with Wells Fargo Advisors into my primary brokerage account. My WFA had three dividend plays that I have held for at leats 5 years, O, OIBAX and XOM. I have added all three to my open dividend positions, so my readers will see that over the weekend. O and XOM have done very well versus Russell 3000, OIBAX was a bit below average (Intl Bond fund... perhaps too much Europe?).

No comments: